Instagram has evolved from a single photo sharing platform to a dynamic social media powerhouse that offers live video, photo galleries with up to 10 images, the ability to save images into collection, stories, and direct messages.
Instagram is still the fastest growing social media platform with 500 million monthly active users. It’s not a platform that can be ignored from your content and marketing strategy. Before you get started posting, read this: Understanding the Instagram Algorithm: 7 Key Factors and Why the Algorithm is Great for Marketers.
When it comes to using hashtags on Instagram, more is more. This is where you can really get creative, a little wild, and often ridiculous, in order to reach a new audience. Lately I’ve been adding hashtags in the comments, not in the image caption. Why? Simply because it makes it look neater, more organized. You can add up to 30 hashtags in a comment, but the magic number for hashtags on an IG post seems to be 9-11. It’s important to make sure that the hashtag is relevant not just to the image, but to the brand.
- On Instagram, photos showing faces get 38% more Likes than photos not showing faces. (Georgia Institute of Technology, 2014)
- 28% of adult internet users use Instagram. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- 59% of Instagram users are on the platform daily, including 35% who visit several times a day. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- Instagram has 500 million monthly active users. (Statista, 2016)
- Over 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram every day. (Instagram, 2016)